The Union College community celebrated the School’s 220th anniversary, today (February 26, 2015), with a Founders Day ceremony in Memorial Chapel. In 1795, Union College was the first institution for higher education chartered by the New York Board of Regents, also making it the first non-denominational college in the country. The School was originally located in Schenectady’s Stockade neighborhood (see the collage above), but moved a half-mile down Union Street to its current location in 1814. Its campus was the first fully-planned campus in America, predating Thomas Jefferson’s design of the University of Virginia by several years.
For more information regarding the school's Stockade roots, see David Giacalone's blog, "suns along the Mohawk"